Director of Sales – Specialty Markets
Imperial is one of the oldest headwear brands in the country. Founded in 1916, Imperial is the leading manufacturer of premium quality headwear, apparel, and accessories for the golf market. Imperial’s products can be found at 99 of the Top 100 and over 75% of the Top 400 golf courses in the United States, as well as the US Open, PGA Championship, Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup, Solheim Cup, and many PGA Tour events. Imperial was voted the #1 headwear brand for private and resort golf facilities for six consecutive years by the Association of Golf Merchandisers (AGM) and reported as the “#1 headwear brand in the combined on and off course retail golf channels in 2022” by Golf Datatech.
Imperial is seeking a “Director of Sales – Specialty Markets” to lead the expansion of the Imperial brand into other markets, such as outdoor, destinations and resort retailers, including yacht clubs, marinas, fly fishing, hunting, climbing, racquet sports, etc.
This individual will be responsible for developing and implementing a strategic plan, identifying and cultivating new business opportunities, as well as procuring a sales team to service these channels.
To be successful in this critical and visible role, this team member must have successful prior experience in selling to specialty markets, headwear or apparel manufacturing, ability to network with clients, a deep understanding of go to market strategy, as well as superb organizational and presentation skill sets.
Scope of Responsibilities
- DRIVE REVENUE GROWTH – Develop a strategic plan to expand the brand into other outdoor adventure and destination markets beyond golf. Drive consistent sales growth over time and gain market share through channel distribution. Utilize various marketing techniques, including social media, to increase brand awareness and sales. Identify and represent the organization at various tournaments, trade shows, meetings and events.
- MANAGE KEY ACCOUNTS – Be the corporate liaison for top facilities and key customers in the new markets. Develop trusted relationships with customers by providing superior customer service and following through on commitments. Build and deliver polished sales presentations, both at customer meetings and sales conferences.
- LEAD A HIGH-PERFORMING TEAM – Evaluate and expand the current independent sales reps in the channel. Identify, cultivate and land new sales reps with a strategic and consultative sales approach. Set aggressive but attainable Key Performance Indicators and hold independent sales representatives accountable to consistently achieve sales goals. Continuously network with sales representatives of competitors and know the players in each territory to build a pipeline of potential candidates.
- COLLABORATE WITH OPERATIONS – Collaborate with operations, design, production and other internal teams to develop high quality products in a timely manner and meet customer expectations. Inspire trust and credibility among team members as modeled through personal leadership. Promote the company’s culture by living the mission and values, conveying a high degree of emotional intelligence and by creating an atmosphere of open communication and personal accountability.
- MANAGE THE BUDGET – Accurately project sales budgets and production numbers. Effectively manage the business by analyzing budgets and production in an effective manner.
- BE RESPONSIBLE FOR PARTNERSHIPS AND SPONSORSHIPS – Facilitate and negotiate key partnerships and sponsorship in the new business arena.
- LOCATION & TRAVEL – This position is located at the company’s headquarters in Bourbon MO, south of St. Louis. However, the opportunity to work remotely up to full-time will be considered. Must be able to travel to sales presentations, trade shows, tournaments and other meetings and events. Estimated travel will be variable, up to 70%.
The Director will report to the SVP of Sales.
Other Critical Operating Relationships
- CEO of Paramount (parent company)
- President of Imperial
- SVP of Product & Marketing
- SVP of Operations
- Customer Service
- Art Director
- Director of Sourcing
- Production & Shipping
- $100k+ annual salary plus incentives (based on experience)
- Health care
- Vacation, Holidays
- Relocation to the greater St. Louis area (as needed)
- Work Experience – Minimum of 5 years of proven successful sales experience, preferably in the outdoor business such as fly fishing, marinas, etc.
- Management Experience – Minimum of three years of experience managing staff, including attracting, training, establishing performance expectations, and retaining top talent.
- Custom Logo – Familiarity with graphic design and embroidery. Knowing the difference between a JPG and Vector art is a must. A creative eye for custom logo decoration is a huge competitive advantage.
- New Products, New Markets & New Channels – Proven experience supporting the successful launch of new products, new solutions, and extending existing programs into new markets, new channels and new customer segments. This experience indicates you can lead with speed, scrappiness and with a sense of urgency.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit – Ability to self-motivate and take ownership of an endeavor. An attitude of doing everything possible to ensure success as well as being well versed in all related matters is a culture fostered at the Company.
- Social Media – Proficiency in various social media platforms, including but not limited to Instagram and Twitter. Ability to capture content on the fly. Extreme understanding that our social media strategy reflects the essence of what makes Imperial special, relevant and ultimately preferred over the competition.
- Computer Skils – Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and PowerPoint. Familiarity with Gmail, presentation and order entry software.
- Customer Service – Outstanding customer service skills and the ability to remain calm under pressure and develop solid working relationships with external and internal constituents
- Communication – This individual should have excellent oral and written communication skills. Dedication to detail and craftsmanship of the written word, as well as command a room with oral presentation. Being able to effectively communicate, negotiate, sell an idea and tell a story is the key to success in this position.
- Outdoor & Brand Affinity – Important but not mandatory to have a passion for the outdoors and the Imperial brand.
Equal Opportunity Employer
"*" indicates required fields